www.travel-university.org

Cambodia

www.travel-university.org
Latest articles: Cyprus - Belize - Federated States of Micronesia - Jamaica - Commonwealth of Dominica - Notable attractions in London - Bolivia - Tasmania - Sydney - South Australia - Norfolk Island - Kakadu National Park - Great Barrier Reef - Western Australia - Northern Territory
Google


this site
Web
Asia : South East Asia, India, South-West Asia, Laos, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, Hong-Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Japan, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar-Burma, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, The Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen




Here under Cambodia, you will find travel information classified by city or region of Cambodia, as well as general information.

The Kingdom of Cambodia is a monarchy with a population of 13 million, and a land area of 70,000 square miles (about half of Germany; about the size of Oklahoma).

Prevalent religion: most Cambodians are Therevada Buddhists of Khmer extraction.

Kampuchea is one of the names given to Cambodia in the Khmer language.



From the 9th to the 15th century, Cambodia was the center of the mighty Khmer Empire, which was based at Angkor. Angkor Wat, the empire's main religious temple, remains a symbol of Cambodia, and is also the country's major tourist attraction.

Cambodia was made a French protectorate in 1863 and became part of French Indochina.

CambodiaThe main geographical feature is the lakes plain formed by the floodings of the Tonle Sap (Great Lake). This is the heartland of Cambodia; this is where rice is grown. The highest mountain in Cambodia is Phnom Aoral, in the center of the country, at 5,950 feet above sea level.

Theravada Buddhism, forbidden by the Khmer Rouges but now revived, is the main religion in Cambodia; but Christian religions are spreading.

Khmer culture has specific styles of dance, architecture and sculpture which have strongly influenced neighboring Laos and Thailand.

The tourism industry is Cambodia's second source of income, after the textile industry. More than 60% of visitor arrivals are to Angkor, and most of the remaining 40% to Phnom Penh. Other tourist areas include Kompong Som (Cambodia's only port), which has a popular beach.



Location of Cambodia










© www.travel-university.org 2012 - All materials contained in this website are protected by c o p y r i g h t laws, and may not be reproduced, republished, distributed, transmitted, displayed, broadcast or otherwise exploited in any manner without the express prior written permission of www.travel-university.org. You may link from your website to www.travel-university.org homepage or one of its interior pages.
Contact us