www.travel-university.org

Earth Composition

www.travel-university.org
Latest articles: Cyprus - Belize - Federated States of Micronesia - Jamaica - Commonwealth of Dominica - Notable attractions in London - Bolivia - Tasmania - Sydney - South Australia - Norfolk Island - Kakadu National Park - Great Barrier Reef - Western Australia - Northern Territory
Google


this site
Web
Geography : Mineral Resources, Why I hated Geography at school, Energy Resources, Universe, Structure of the Earth, Earth Layers, Earth Composition, Tectonics, Human Geography, Geomorphology, Oceanography, Cartography, History, Landforms, Climatology, Soils, Vegetation, Regions, Population, Resources, Industries
Earth Composition: Igneous Rocks, Form, Igneous Rocks, Minerals, Properties of Igneous Rocks, Igneous Rocks, Situation, Igneous Rocks, Metamorphic Rocks - Agency, Metamorphic Rocks - Influence, Some Metamorphic Rocks, Metamorphic Rocks, Minerals, Classification of Rocks, Earth Composition: Rocks, Sedimentary Rocks Characteristics, Sedimentary Rocks Classification, Sedimentary Rocks - Formation, Sedimentary Rocks - Structure, Sedimentary Rocks




Earth Composition

Earth composition

The surface area of the Earth is 510,069,262 sq. km. or 5.101 x 108 sq. km. The area of lithosphere is 1.408 x 108 sq. km. and that of hydrosphere is 3.704 x 108 sq. km. In other words, the lithosphere occupies roughly 29.2% and hydrosphere 70.8% of the earth's surface. If we consider the Earth to be a sphere of 30.5cm diameter, the highest mountain peak will be within one mm. height and the deepest point of the ocean within one mm. depth of this sphere. It is, therefore, clear that man's knowledge of the Earth is very limited and indirect.



The Composition of the Earth's Crust. Experiments have proven that 98% of the crust is composed of 8 elements and the rest of the 90 elements compose the remaining 2% of the crust. Even in the 2% portion, only one dozen elements predominate.

The major elements of the Earth's crust (percentage)

Serial No. Elements Percentage
1. Oxygen 46.60
2. Silicon 27.72
3. Aluminium 8.13
4. Iron 5.00
5. Calcium 3.63
6. Sodium 2.83
7. Potassium 2.59
8. Magnesium 2.09
98.59





Next: Igneous Rocks, Form










© www.travel-university.org 2012 - All materials contained in this website are protected by c o p y r i g h t laws, and may not be reproduced, republished, distributed, transmitted, displayed, broadcast or otherwise exploited in any manner without the express prior written permission of www.travel-university.org. You may link from your website to www.travel-university.org homepage or one of its interior pages.
Contact us