1. Welcome, lone traveler from Ashburn!
Economic Importance of Plateaus
(1) Plateaus and Minerals - The plateaus are famous for minerals. The plateau of France, the Deccan plateau of India, Western Australian plateau and Brazilian plateau are very good sources of minerals. Iron, copper, gold, diamonds, Manganese, coal, etc., are found in them.
(2) Plateau and Climate - Plateaus have cooler climates than those of plains. For example, new colonies have developed on the plateaus in the tropics.
2. Main article
The plateaus are desert in temperate latitude. The people lead a migratory life.
(3) Plateaus and Agriculture - Plateaus are not very useful from the point of view of agriculture. The hard rocks on plateaus cannot form fertile soil but agricultural activities are promoted where lava soils have developed. Lava soil in developed form is found on the terraced slopes of Indonesia. This soil promotes agriculture. It is difficult to dig wells and canals in plateaus. This hampers irrigation.
(4) Plateaus and Vegetation - Grass grows on plateaus. Animals are reared on it. The plateaus of Australia, Patagonia and South Africa (Weldts) are well known for the rearing of goats and sheep.
Forests also grow where rainfall is adequate.